Clitheroe 5-1 Droylsden

The elation of Saturday’s win against Widnes was well and truly blown away on a blustery night at Shawbridge St.

After a lively start and having taken the lead,The Bloods were reduced to ten men when skipper Michael Brewster was shown a straight red card for a challenge on midfielder Hyuga Tanner on twenty three minutes,conceded on the stroke of half time before the floodgates opened in the second half.

It could have been very different after Brewster had scored from the penalty spot on five minutes after Brandy had been shoved over in the area,but even before that could have been ahead after Terry in the Clitheroe goal saved Gonzales shot,the ball falling to Rouse on the six yard line whose shot was somehow blocked by the Clitheroe defence.

Clitheroe had their chances as the action swung from end to end,Rainford through in goal forcing a great save from Thompson and Hazeldine miss kicking in front of an open goal after Gregory had crossed.

After the Bloods were reduced to ten men,Clitheroe began to press.Twice more Rainford was denied by Thompson before right on the stroke of half time,the striker finally found the back of the net after the home team broke from a Droylsden corner.

In the second half,Clitheroe began to press their advantage and seven minutes it were ahead thanks to a screamer of a strike by Lewis Sugden from nearly 30 yards out which left Thompson routed to the spot.

Manager Dave Pace immediately changed the formation bringing on Dylan Smith and Jovan Vidal for Luke Daly and Febian Brandy.

The Bloods nearly equalised when a quick free kick by Shaun Holden caught out the home defence only for Domaine Rouse’s shot to be cleared.

But with just under half an hour remaining Clitheroe extended their lead, another strike by Sugden from the edge of the area finding the far corner of the Bloods goal.

After that it was one way traffic, and with twelve minutes left Rainford got his second of the night from the penalty spot when skipper Gregory was brought down after driving across the byline in the area.

Clitheroe made it five with three minutes left on the clock when Recizac struck a low shot from just inside the area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *